Wednesday, July 29, 2009

When a Heatwave is REALLY a Heatwave

Seattle has long been considered a home of whiners by those who live in inclement weather zones. Having spent the first 20 years of my life in Evanston, Illinois, I fully understand what real winter snow and cold is, and I truly appreciate sweat-producing heat and humidity. Seattle has a temperate climate, and I have enjoyed the benefits of this for almost 40 years.

Even so, I know when a heatwave is really a heatwave. Getting above 90 degrees even for a day or two is nearly unheard of in the Puget Sound region. We have the water to protect us (unlike Portland which usually reaches 10 degrees higher or lower than us). Today, when I looked at the weather around the world and noticed that some of the only places hotter than parts of my area are Yuma, Arizona and Baghdad, Iraq, I knew this was the real deal.

Thankfully, we have a basement, and it is probably 20 degrees cooler than the main floor of our house and 30 degrees cooler than the second floor, and it is down here that Bill and I will spend the better part of today (and every other 90-102 degrees day). We have all the creature comforts in our subterranean locale, and except for quick food runs, we have no earthly reason to venture above ground level. We braved our own bed last night, but if it gets unbearable tonight, we can always camp out on the queen-sized futon down here. This is supposed to ease up in a week, so hopefully by the time we have family here in mid-August we'll be back to our gorgeous, mid-70s to 80s typical summer weather. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment