Friday, January 30, 2009

Doing My Part for the Economy

Being an ardent fan of Barack Obama, I embrace his concepts of sacrifice and investing in the community. Apparently I have also embraced his commitment to improving infrastructures as a way to boost our economy. My husband and I now have the best damn sewer pipeline from house to street of anyone in our neighborhood.

Our bailout began with water pooling in our basement by the washtubs. Normally this would not be a concern, since heavy rains often cause run-off water to seep beneath the basement door and flow towards the inside drain. There had been no rain, however, for many days. I had, however, done laundry upstairs, and four people had taken showers. It was time for Roto-Rooter.

Amazingly, we had a person on site, rooting out the sewer line, within the hour. No problems, except we seemed to have too much sludge and very few obstructions. We needed a camera's eye-view. A colonoscopy for our pipeline as it were. This didn't bode well, and it was about as pricey as the real thing, too.

Long story short: our 85 year-old concrete pipeline from the house to the street looked bleak, and it needed surgery. Two days and many thousands of dollars later we emerged with top-of-the-line plumbing. Seamless and impervious to outside influences, we should be safe from intruding roots or extruding crud.

The pain in my checkbook subsides a little each day, and with each flush of the toilet or load of laundry, I have a certain sense of pride that I have done my part to help stimulate the economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment