Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Luck of the Draw

I am a lucky person. I might not be in the stratosphere of those mentioned in "Outliers," but I do know that because of circumstances, I am a luckier person than many. Naturally, I'd love to have the kind of luck that garners big payouts on the slots or at the race track, but considering how averse I am to gambling, I doubt I would ever be aware of such luck even if it existed.

My luck tends to be the type that increases the intrinsic value of my life. My incredible husband and children, my wonderful friends, and my sense of comfort and security all make my life rich and full. It may sound corny, but I cannot take for granted all the positive aspects of my life: I am lucky.

Of course, even though I have a natural aversion to gambling (not for any moral reasons; I simply hate losing money just to play games), I still consider it my philanthropic duty to contribute to raffles. As long as it's for a good cause and a legitimate non-profit group, I'll shell out the few dollars it takes to buy the tickets for that fabulous:

a)pink and green hand-crocheted afghan
b)3-day stay in a Wenatchee time-share
c)basket of assorted jams and jellies
d)wine-tasting party for four
e)whatever

I do not win these raffles. I never do, and quite frankly, most times I am glad. Today, however, was different. At the Retired Teachers' Association luncheon and meeting I plunked down my $5 for 6 chances and truly wished to win. The basket contained St. Michelle wine and several other equally nice goodies, and I figured this could finally be my lucky day. The guest speaker drew a ticket and I didn't win. BUT WAIT! There was a second lesser prize, and another ticket was drawn: MINE! Of course, this means I have used up my allotment of luck for gambling, and I will have to be content with my one and only "big score" being a large, heart-shaped box of Russell Stover's Valentine chocolates. Not exactly what my figure needs, but hey, I was lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment