Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Old Fogy-ism Sets In

For many years I chuckled at the predictability of my parents' generation. My ability to foretell the stories, comments, and complaints of anyone born before 1930 would have awed "The Mentalist." I am sure that all Baby Boomers can recite the litany of problems that our parents and their peers blamed on us. Every time I heard the words, "The trouble with ... " I could almost lip-synch the finish.

You can imagine my chagrin whenever I hear those words slip off my tongue now. I cannot escape the fact that I (and pretty much every Baby Boomer) have become an old fogey. Oh, I pretend to be with it, valiantly keeping up with technology advances, style changes, and celebrity doings, but I'm losing my edge. I'm actually saying, OUT LOUD, "You know, the trouble with..." OMG. Worst part? I MEAN it! Whatever my target, I truly blame it for the latest ills in my life.

Take electronic technology. I cannot imagine being without computers, TV, GPS, cell phones, and all other such creature comforts. I love all of it. The trouble with technology today is the cost, and I mean dollars, not its toll on humanity. Why, our mortgage payments on our first home were less than my Triple Play Comcast bill today. It's a damn stranglehold those big money-grabbin' companies have on us old folks, yes sirree Bob. Oops. Old fogey-ism sets in.

The trouble is, I know I'm right. You just wait. Some day when you're older, you'll see things my way. Just as sure as I'm standing here, I know that you, too, will one day repeat the mantra of old fogies everywhere, and as you gasp and clutch your heart when you realize that you have become the older generation, Baby Boomers everywhere will let out a sigh of relief, knowing that there is order in the universe and wisdom will prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment