Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What a Summer

My summer has been both a visit to the past and an anticipation of the future. Bill and I traveled back east and back in time in early summer to attend a family reunion in Lexington, Kentucky. We traveled east through the flat, hot middle of America and came home west through the rugged, hot north of America. Along the way we visited historic sites both natural and man-made, and we also spent time in our old home stomping grounds.

Yup. We relived some of our youth. After the reunion, we headed north into Illinois, stopping in Champaign/Urbana, home of the University of Illinois and birthplace of our relationship. Nearly 42 years ago Bill and I met by accident at the U of I. Finding out we were from the same hometown (Evanston, IL), I quickly finagled a Thanksgiving ride home from the cute law student, and that began our lives together. It was love at first sight for me, and 40 years of marriage have only increased my feelings for my old hubby. :-)

Our trip continued north to Evanston, and there I met up with three friends from junior high and high school. I spent time with each amazing woman, chatting about politics, life, and anything current. They have all accomplished so much in their lives and careers, so it was great fun to hear the latest from each. We caught up with one of my brothers and some other family members while in the Chicagoland area and headed home for a short travel break. The Reuniting theme continued in August. This time Bill and I drove to Oregon, hitting the coast and communing with family before heading to Crater Lake and communing with nature.

Now I am in the anticipatory phase. Will and Vanessa have decided to privately get married Labor Day Weekend (as totally private as you can get) and throw a celebratory barbecue at our place for family and friends. We're so happy and we look forward to relaxing and enjoying all who are able to come to the party. Cross your fingers for good weather! Meg and Brett are coming in for the barbecue, and then they'll soon be celebrating their 5th wedding anniversary. Hard to believe it's already been that long. Bill and I look forward to seeing our whole family together, and we feel lucky to be able to travel as much as we do. Put me behind the wheel of an efficient little car and I'm always ready to go. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment